01 April 2014

NATIONAL VIETNAM VETERANS DAY 2014

VA Story

Welcome Home Vietnam Veterans Day
Editors note: This post is updated from Doug Young’s Aug. 15, 2013, guest post blog of the same title.
I dreaded the paperwork, but she made it easy for me. I was late coming into VA’s health care system in 2002, but now I’m very glad I did. I’d heard the horror stories from other Vets and wondered if VA was just another government bureaucracy, but when the clerk (herself a Veteran) sat down with me, it was painless. I was amazed to find out that as the holder of a Purple Heart, all of my medical needs would be covered.
She also got tired of hearing me say “Excuse me” and “Huh?” too many times during the interview. The first thing she did after the paperwork was complete was arrange to have my hearing checked. I remember being processed out of the Army in 1970 in Oakland and being given a hearing exam. As I stepped out of the booth, the technician said “You were a grunt, weren’t you?” Read More »

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to share? Nothing commercial or off-topic, please.